Did you know your pillow choice can have profound effects on your sleep comfort and quality?
Choosing the right pillow can have major benefits.
If you prefer side sleeping, using a pillow that is thick enough to fill the entire space between your neck and your mattress will keep your head and neck in a neutral position and reduce the strain on your neck ligaments, muscles, and other connective tissues.
If you are a back sleeper, consider avoiding pillows altogether or just using a thin, soft pillow to support your head.
If you are someone who regularly switches from your side to your back, it can be hard to find a pillow that’s ideal for both positions, but there are options available so try to find one that works for you, keep in mind the points above about keeping your neck neutral while you sleep.
A good sleep position can help you sleep more comfortably and keep you healthier, but, rejuvenating sleep is about more than just position. You also need to consider your other sleep habits, and hygiene to get quality sleep.
If you’re not waking up rested, try these other sleep tips and tricks:
- Reduce or eliminate daytime naps
- Stick to a regular bedtime and wake-up time
- Avoid alcohol and caffeine before bed (for as much as 4 to 6 hours, depending on your body’s response to them)
- Establish a pre bedtime ritual
- Block out all loud noises and lights from your bedroom (especially device and TV screens)
- Set a comfortable bedroom temperature