Knee pain is a very common problem and the symptoms of pain, soreness, stiffness, lack of motion is something that we see a lot at our in office in St. Louis Park. Many people think of knee pain due to direct injury or trauma to the knee, when in fact, it is often the result of something else leading to the knee compensating. At West End Chiropractic and Wellness in St. Louis Park, our staff is uniquely trained to address these issues and get your back on your feet and feeling better fast!
Common Causes of Knee Pain
- Direct Trauma to the Knee
- Motor Vehicle Accidents
- Poor Alignment or Poor Body Posture
- Over use
- Foot Problems (flat feet)
- Muscle Weakness
- Referred Pain from the Hip and Low Back
Knee problems can be both acute and chronic, and a trained chiropractor can be an invaluable resource in treatment and successful symptom relief. When assessing knee pain it’s important to identify the main structures that may be involved. This includes looking at everything from your feet to your low back and even how you walk!
Chiropractic Treatment of Knee Pain
There are 3 stages of treatment that we follow when approaching knee pain. Each stage is modified for each patient.
- Ice, Ice, Ice! Not only will this reduce inflammation, but it will help decrease muscle spasm and some of the initial pain symptoms.
- Avoid aggravating factors and use support or brace if necessary.
Normalize Joint Function
- Specific chiropractic adjustments to the knee, ankle, hip and low back depending on where misalignments are present. This proper functioning serves to reduce immediate pain and improves overall function, placing less stress on joints.
- Deep tissue massage with accompanying trigger point therapy and sports stretching to address the soft tissue component of the injury.
Rehabilitative Exercise Program
- As joint function improves, specific exercises can be introduced to improve strength, endurance and stability.
- Proper strength and routine maintenance care will prevent injuries from recurring in the future.
At West End Chiropractic and Wellness we have helped patients dealing with knee pain get back on with life again. To see how we can help you click here for a FREE Consultation and Exam or call us at (952) 500-8477.