Are you or someone important to you suffering from pain? How about back pain, headaches, or a pain from an injury. Maybe your dealing with chronic pain which can be very crippling, and it’s natural for anyone to seek ways to relieve it. Millions of Americans who suffer from chronic pain take painkillers and believe it to be one of the primary methods for pain relief.
Today, 60 million Americans rely on a class of painkillers called non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs, unaware that these medications can actually cause more harm than good.
NSAIDs Side Effects: The Risks They Don’t Tell You About
Numerous studies link NSAIDs to detrimental side effects. Each year, over 100,000 people given an NSAID prescription are hospitalized, and about 15,000 succumb to death.
In 2000, Vioxx, a potent non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug, was released in the market. A year before Vioxx was approved, I already warned the public about the cardiovascular risks associated with the drug. It took four years and 60,000 deaths (due to heart-related side effects) before warnings were heeded and Vioxx was removed from the market.
But it didn’t stop there. In 2004, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cautioned the public that NSAIDs, such as Cox-2 inhibitors Bextra (which was removed from the market in 2005) and Celebrex, along with other over-the-counter varieties like Aleve, Ibuprofen, and aspirin, all potentially lead to cardiovascular problems, GI bleeding, kidney problems, and increased blood pressure.
Pregnant women were especially warned against using NSAIDs. A study reported that prescription and OTC non-aspirin NSAIDs, such as diclofenac, naproxen (Aleve), celecoxib (Celebrex), and ibuprofen (Advil), increased their risk of miscarriage.
At West End Chiropractic and Wellness our goal is to help you live a life pain free, without the use of drugs or medications. Today we list our top 7 ways to eliminate NSAIDs from your life!
Top 7 Ways to Eliminate NSAIDs from your life
- Reduce Grains & Sugars
- Helps avoid elevated insulin & leptin levels – Elevated levels may lead to or exacerbate inflammation in the body
- Eliminating sugars & grains will radically reduce inflammatory prostaglandins
- Vitamin – D
- Regular, appropriate sun exposure will work through varying mechanisms to reduce aches & pains
- Omega – 3s
- High-quality, animal-based omega-3 fatty acids are precursors to mediators of inflammation, prostaglandins
- Emotional trauma can predispose you to immune dysfunction, effective stress relief tools will assist the innate intelligence of the body by addressing the stress bogging down the immune system
- EFT, or Emotional Freedom Technique, is highly recommended for reducing emotional stress and is accomplished through acupressure points
- Natural Alternatives
- Use natural alternatives such as ginger, boswellia, bromelain, or cayenne cream for temporary pain relief while transitioning from NSAIDs to natural relief care
- Also known as Earthing, is walking barefoot outside
- This allows the body to receive a surge of electrons from the Earth, which have antioxidant effects, thereby helping protect the body from inflammation
- Get Adjusted
- Research shows that adjustments to spinal misalignment can boost nervous system function leading to decreased inflammation
To learn more how about our team can help you call West End Chiropractic and Wellness at (952) 500-8477 or visit us online at St. Louis Park Chiropractor!