At West End Chiropractic and Wellness our patients get amazing results from chiropractic care and as a result many patients will ask for some suggestions on selecting a wellness-oriented chiropractor for their friends or family in different parts of the country. Today will walk through a few keys when selecting a chiropractor that can help you attain your health goals.
What NOT to do. If the best doctor for you happens to have an office nearby, that’s great. But don’t let location be the primary basis for your choice. Don’t base your selection on an attractive sign, or a large ad in the phone directory.
Important factors for choosing a wellness chiropractor:
- Ask your friends. If you have friends who share your perspective on health and wellness, ask for a recommendation. You can ask your friend candid questions about the doctor, the staff, fees, availability, and services offered. More importantly, your friend, who knows both you and the chiropractor, may be able to tell whether your health philosophies and personalities are compatible.
- Meet the doctor. Most chiropractors will be willing to meet you for a consultation at no cost to determine whether you are a good match. Make productive use of this visit. You want to know whether the practice is right for you, and whether you feel comfortable with the doctor. Things to ask and look for:
- Does the doctor look healthy? If the doctor does not live a healthy lifestyle, this speaks volumes regarding their commitment to wellness. If the doctor smells of tobacco smoke, is obese, or otherwise appears unhealthy, this is a concern.
- Do the two of you “click”? You are entering into a very special relationship. Approach it as you would any long-term commitment. Do you like each other? Does the doctor seem rushed? Do you communicate well with each other? Avoid a doctor who seems rushed, or talks down to you. You want a partner and a coach, not a surrogate parent.
- Does the practice focus on vertebral subluxation and wellness? We experience life through our nervous systems. Physical, biochemical, and psychological distress may result in spinal subluxations, which disrupt nerve function, and compromise your ability to adapt to the environment. It is essential that this be the focus of your wellness chiropractor, since some chiropractors choose to confine their practices to the mechanical treatment of back and neck pain.
- What types of techniques are used? If you have been to a chiropractor before, you may have a preference for a specific technique. There are many different techniques in chiropractic. Some include adjustments by hand, low-force techniques, and adjustments using instruments. The important thing is that the right technique for you is available. Ask the doctor about what technique will be used if this is important to you.
- Training. Educational and licensing standards for doctors of chiropractic are now standardized. Unfortunately, there are no specialty training programs specifically for wellness chiropractors. However, there are some seminar programs, such as the Total Solution ™ course, offered by the Chiropractic Leadership Alliance, which train full-spectrum, wellness-oriented chiropractors.
- Fees. Health insurance really isn’t “health” insurance, it is illness insurance. Most health policies will only cover services that address specific conditions. If you have a specific health issue, such as back or neck pain, your insurance may pay a portion of your chiropractor’s fee. If you have no symptoms, insurance generally does not cover the cost of wellness care.
After your examination, the chiropractor should explain to you the proposed course of care, and the fees and payment options. Many wellness chiropractors are able to offer affordable fees by eliminating the cost of billing insurance
The value of chiropractic care in formulating a total strategy for health and well-being is immense. The key is finding a doctor of chiropractic whose philosophy, values, and personality are compatible with yours.
If you or someone you know is looking for a chiropractor call West End Chiropractic and Wellness today at (952) 500-8477 or click here to schedule a Free Exam and Consultation with one of our doctors.
West End Chiropractic and Wellness has been helping people in the Minneapolis area and was named Best Chiropractic Clinic in 2013 and 2014!